WhatsApp will now tell users not only when their messages have been delivered, but also when they’ve been read.
WhatsApp already had single check mark when a message is sent and a double check mark when it is delivered. There was no option to identify when it’s been read, played or listened to.
An update to the app is available and will now turn these check marks blue if the message has been sent, received and read.
WhatsApp had confirmed this in the FAQ.
What are those check marks next to my messages?
Check marks will appear next to each message you send. Here is what each one indicates:
- message successfully sent.
- message successfully delivered to the recipient’s phone.
- the recipient has read your message.
In a group chat, the second check marks will appear when all participants in the group have received your message. The two blue check marks will appear when all participants in the group have read your message.
What if you have updated WhatsApp and now wanted to disable the blue ticks?
For Android users, there is a solution by manually updating the app to WhatsApp version 2.11.444. But if you do this, then you won’t be able to see the receipts either. If you want to check when other people see your messages, then you need to allow them to see read receipts from you.
The first step is to get the latest APK file from WhatsApp:
- Download the latest (version 2.11.444) WhatsApp apk from the official website.
- On your Android phone, go to Settings > Security > Check Unknown sources, to enable installing apps from outside Google Play. Note that the exact path to the setting can vary depending on your device manufacturer and Android version – the important thing to note is that you enable installing apps from unknown sources.
- Open the apk on your Android phone. This will install the latest version of the app on your device.
Once the app is installed, here’s how to disable read receipts:
- Open WhatsApp and tap three vertical dots icon on the top right.
- Now go to Settings > Account > Privacy.
- Uncheck Read receipts.
Currently this solution is available for Android users only. We can expect this to come to Google Play store and other platforms soon.
Rate this page :