Dates Pickle is an instant pickle or curry made with dates and it is very easy to make. It has a sweet and sour taste. It is used as an accompaniment for ghee rice and Biriyani. If you refrigerate and keep in a air tight jar, the pickle can last for a week. Try the dish and share your experience.
- Dates – 10 to 12 Nos
- Chopped Onion – 1 Cup
- Chopped Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Chopped Green Chilly – 1 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind – one small lemon sized ball
- Jaggery (grated) – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 1 Cup
- Chop dates into small pieces.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and Squeeze out the extract.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds, add chopped onion, ginger, green chilly and curry leaves and saute for a few minutes till the onions are transparent.
- Reduce the flame and add turmeric powder and red chilly powder and stir continuously for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chopped dates and saute for a minute.
- Add water, salt and cook till the dates becomes soft.
- Add tamarind extract and jaggery and cook for few more minutes.
- When the gravy becomes thick, switch off the flame and enjoy with biriyani, pulav, ghee rice, etc..
Rate this page :