“Paal Payasam” is a Kerala traditional desert which is very easy to make. It has a pinkish creamy texture and it tastes great . For this dessert you don’t need to add any food color, condensed milk or saffron for color and thickness, you will automatically get the right color and consistency in the way it is cooked.
- Raw Matta Rice / Payasam Rice – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1/2 litre
- Cardamom powder (optional) – ½ tsp
- Cashew Nuts (optional) – 10
- Raisins – 10(optional)
- Ghee/ Clarified Butter (optional) – 1 tsp
- In a pressure cooker mix washed rice, sugar and milk and stir well until sugar is dissolved.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and when steam starts, place weight of the cooker and lower the flame to minimum and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let pressure come down naturally.
- Open the cooker and if the “payasam” is very thick add little more milk and give it a boil and turn off the heat.
- Add cardamom powder at this stage if you are using it.
- In a fry pan, heat ghee and roast cashews and raisins in it.
- Spread the roasted cashews and raisins over the “payasam” to garnish and serve.
Rate this page :