Meen Peera/Meen Thoran is a delicious Kerala-style curry. The dish is easy to make and works well with small fishes like Mathi, Netholi etc. Essential part is to get the freshest fish possible. If you can get fresh coconut rather than the scrapped one you get in shop, the taste would be even better.
- Sardine (Mathi): 500 gram, cleaned
- Green Chillies: 4, chopped
- Ginger: 1 inch, slice into small pieces
- Shallots (Cheriya Ulli): 8-10, chopped
- Turmeric Powder: ¼ tsp
- Fish tamarind (Kudampuli): 2
- Grated coconut: 1/2 cup
- Water: 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil: 1 tbsp
- Salt: depending on your taste
- Curry leaves
- Cut fish into small pieces.
- Mix grated coconut, chopped ginger, green chilies, shallots, curry leaves and turmeric powder in a bowl. Mix it very well.
- Transfer the fish to a pan or “manchatti” (earthern pan) along with above mixture, kudampuli, water and add salt to taste.
- Cover the pan and allow it to cook for 10 minutes in a low to medium flame.
- Add water if required for the fish to cook well. If fish cooked and there is more water cook with open lid and get the water vaporized out and looks like “Thoran”
- Switch off the flame. Drizzle a table spoon of oil and mix well
Rate this page :