Sohan Qadri is a legendary painter, poet & yogi hailing from India who has lived in Copenhagen for the last 30 years of his life. He was born in 1932 in the Kapurthala district of Punjab, India. He was born in wealthy family with farming background. Qadri’s family gave him good education and he was the first child in the village to have gained matriculation. Though the family wanted to have him take over the family farming, his interest was in medication, yoga and art. Qadri moved to Bombay to purse his interests and started concentrating in his interests, particularly in painting. He travelled across Africa, Europe and North America with his painting and exhibition and finally settled in Canada. He died on March 2, 2011 at the age of 79.
- 1953-55 Long silence and meditations in remote temples in Himalaya and Tibet.
- 1963-65 Worked as free-lance artist.
- 1966 Travelled to East Africa and onward to Europe and North America.
- 1966-70 Lived and worked as painter, Zurich and Paris.
- 1979 Tantra- The Ancient Art of Energy, TV 2, Sweden.
- 1980 Journey into Silence, documentary film by Doordarshan was made on him.
- 2004 Established Gyan Stumbh-Stupa, for spiritual learning and practice, Phagwara Punjab.
Formal education from Punjab University, Punjab
Rate this page :
- 1946 Initiation in Yoga, Tantra, dance and music by Guru Bhikham Giri.
- 1955-60 Masters Degree in Fine Arts, Govt. College of Art, Simla.
- 1963 Exhibition, Punjab University, Chandigarh.
- 1964 Exhibition, Shridharani Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1965 Exhibition, AIFACS, New Delhi.
- 1965 Solo Exhibition, Kumar Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1966 Exhibition, Paa Ya Paa Gallery, Nairobi.
- 1966 Exhibition, New Stanley Gallery, Nairobi.
- 1966 Exhibition, Galerie Romain Louis, Brussels.
- 1967 Exhibition, La Formiere Galerie, Zurich.
- 1967 Exhibition, Galerie Arlequin, Zurich.
- 1967 Exhibition, Galerie Junge Generation, Vienna.
- 1967 Exhibition, WDK Galerie, Zielona Gora.
- 1968 Exhibition, Galerie Stenzel, Munich.
- 1968 Exhibition, Galerie Musarion, Basel.
- 1968 Exhibition, Gladsaxe Kunstkreds, Copenhagen.
- 1969 Salon International Paris, Paris.
- 1969 Exhibition, Commonwealth Institute, London.
- 1969 Exhibition, Compedium Gallery, London.
- 1970 Punjab University Fine Art Museum, Chandigarh.
- 1970, 1977, 1980, 1994 Exhibition, Dhoomimal Art Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1970 Exhibition, Anthony Mellor Gallery, Huddersfield.
- 1971 Exhibition, Galerie Rubin & Magnussen, Copenhagen.
- 1972 Exhibition, Essex 3 Art Gallery, Los Angeles.
- 1972 Exhibition, Picture Loan Gallery, Toronto
- National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi.
- Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- State Museum, Chandigarh.
- Punjab University, Chandigarh.
- Punjab University, Patiala.
- Peabody Essex Museum, Salem.
- Slupsk Museum of Modern Art, Slupsk.
- Bodo Glaub Museum.
- Heinrich B’ll.
- Robert Thurmans collection, New York.
- Hitachi Capital collection, New York.
- Pierre Jeanneret collection, Paris.
- Mulk Raj Anand collection, Mumbai.Delhi Art Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1968 National Award, Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- 1982 IAPAA Award, Toronto.
- 1960-63 Taught art at postgraduate level, Punjab.
- Conducted intensive courses in advance meditation and Tantra.
- Conducted international workshops on Aesthetics and Metaphysics.