Shyamal is one of the accomplished Bengali water colourists of all time. Started his career learning oil painting, then switched over to water colour. Most of Ray’s work reflects the city life of Calcutta, with its happiness and sorrow, struggle and strife, poverty and hope. The works also exhibit a sense of irony, surrealism and awareness of a disintegrating society. He fashions images out of his direct perception of immediate realities. He was born (1934 – 19/05/2005) in Ranchi, Bihar. He is the Founder Member of Painter’s 80 Group.
1950 -55 Diploma in Painting, Government College of Art and Craft, Kolkata
Rate this page :
- 1958 Academy of Fine Arts, Calcutta.
- 1969 Asian Graphic Prints, Travelling Exhibition, USA.
- 1970 Exhibition of Indian Art, Texas.
- 1971 Prints from India, Poland
- 1972 25 Years of Indian Art, Rabindra Bhavan, Lalit Kala Academi, New Delhi.
- 1976 Western Pacific Print Biennale, Australia.
- 1978 `Inter-Grafik`, East Germany (Also in 1979, 80, 84).
- 1980 All India Graphic Exhibition, Chandigarh.
- Third World Biennale of Graphics, London and Baghdad.
- 1981 `Indian Painting Today`, Jehangir Art Gallery, Bombay.
- 1981 Kala Yatra, Hyderabad.
- 1982 Kala Yatra Exhibition, Bombay, Bangalore, London, Manchester, Paris.
- 1982 Inaugural Exhibition, Roopankar Museum of Fine Arts, Bharat Bhavan Bhopal. National Exhibition, Lalit Kala Academi, New Delhi.
- 1983 Asian Art Biennale, Daka, Bangladesh.
- 1984 Kala Yatra & Sistas, Madras.
- 1986 VI International Triennale, Rabindra Bhavan, Lalit Kala Academi, New Delhi.
- Chitrakoot Art Gallery, Kolkata.
- Chittagong University Museum, Bangladesh.
- Masanori Fukuoka and Glenbarra Museum, Hemeji.
- Shilpa Kala Academy, Dhaka.
- Government College of Arts, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Pratt Graphics Centre, New York.
- Mukand & Neerja Lath family Collection, Jaipur.
- Lalit Kala Academi, New Delhi.
- National Museum of Modern Art, Baghdad.
- National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi.
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London.
- Mr. H. K. Kejriwal Collection, Bangalore. Delhi Art Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1958 Gold Medal, Academy of Fine Arts, Calcutta.
- 1968 Rabindra Bharati University Award, Calcutta.
- 1971 Received award at All Indian Graphics Shows at Group Eighty, New Delhi.
- 1972 Birla Academy of Art and Culture Award, Calcutta (Also in 1973, 75, 78).
- 1982 Won the Lalit Kala Academi National Award.
- 1988 Received award at Karnataka Chitrakala Parishad, Bangalore.
- 1988 Received Shiromoni Puraskar, Calcutta.